All of our counsellors work within a carrier cultural framework to ensure that our clients receive services relevant to their needs. Sometimes children, youth and adults need extra support to work through difficult situations and emotions. Our focus is to integrate traditional practices into the assessment and treatment services we provide. Additionally, our team receives training to understand the unique culture, dialect and history of each of our Nations. Additionally, we provide crisis intervention services to assist communities when a crisis overwhelms the regular resources. Additionally, we also provide support to the National Native Alcohol and Drug Abuse Program workers in our Member Nations.
Goals of the Program
* Provide children, youth and adults with access to timely, evidence-based and culturally relevant mental health consultation, assessment and treatment services
* Ensure services are coordinated across public health and primary care, early child development, schools, special needs, child protection and addictions services
* Promote evidence-based services as the standard of care, backed up by training, education and monitoring
* Reduce children's risk of developing mental illness through means such as public education and expert involvement across sectors
* Build capacity in families and communities so they are better able to prevent and mitigate potential effects of harmful factors in a child's environment
The health and wellness program offers counseling services for children, youth, adults, and their families when they are experiencing serious challenges. Our caring professional counselors provide health and wellness services to child and youth and their families in 13 Carrier Nation communities. Our community clinicians provide on and off-reserve counseling to 10 of our Member Nations. For the most part, our child and youth clients are between 6-19 years of age, although at times there are exceptions made. Adults with Indian Status of all ages from our Carrier communities are eligible to receive services.
Our counseling program accepts anyone through our policy of 'every door is the right door', free of charge. You can find a referral form here.
Hours of Operation
8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. After hour appointments and workshops may be offered depending on individual and community need.
240 W. Steward St.
Toll free: 1-866-567-2333
Burns Lake Office
Burns Lake, BC
Marilyn Janzen, Health and Wellness Program Manager
Last modified: Friday 12-Jun-20 15:43:41 PDT