Family Support (Urban Prince George)
The Family Support Program in Urban Prince George works with families who are involved, or at risk of involvement with the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD), or who are seeking support and information on parenting, life skills and self-help support. We assist families involved with Child Protection Services to develop and implement plans to address any concerns. Navigating the Child Welfare system can be challenging, so we also provide advocacy and support to families, and ensure that they have the services in the community they need to achieve their goals.
Any Prince George and area families who wish to partake in our life skills programming are welcome. We can provide referrals to numerous other CSFS programs or other services around the community. We also provide a wide variety of hands on training from a culturally relevant perspective in the areas of personal identity, child and parent attachment, parenting, effects of colonization, holistic wellness, goal setting, relationships, financial management, healthy lifestyles, relapse prevention and more. Our goal is to help our clients acquire the skills and support they need to develop and strengthen family wellness. Support is provided in groups or in one-on –one interaction with our skilled staff members. There is no charge for our programs. Family members do not have to have an open Family Support file to participate in any of our Family Support groups.
Our groups outlined below are offered in the Prince George area;
- Toddler group – Fridays 10am-12pm. This group is an open group, which offers fun interactive playtime for parents and children 4 and under. Circle time, arts and crafts, Ages and Stages information, and other helpful parenting information is provided at 835 Third Avenue.
- Parenting 1234 – This is a four session certified program from Active Parenting. Come and share the joys of parenting toddlers, learn tools and helpful techniques. A lite snack is provided.
- Parenting Now – This is a six session certified program from Active Parenting is for parents to share the joys and challenges of raising 5-12 year olds. Light snack is provided.
Parenting groups are offered on a rotating schedule. Contact Naomi at (250) 563-1281 to register for toddler group, or to find out when the next Parenting 1234 and Parenting Now session starts.
LIFE SKILLS / ADULT SUPPORT GROUPS:
- Women's Group – This open group runs Fridays 10am-12pm and is a drop-in group combining health activities and self-care. At lite breakfast is provided. This group is offered at CSFS -- 835 Third Avenue and facilitated by a Family Support Worker. Please contact Crystal Prince at (250) 563-1281 for further information
- Dennee Lh'ghe dit nee (men's Group) – This ten session men's group runs on Tuesdays from 1pm-3pm at 1145-2nd ave. It is a closed group combining health activities, education, parenting information and self-care tools. A lite snack is provided in this group, which is, co facilitated by a male and female facilitator. Please contact Alice Compagnon at (250) 563-1281 for further information
- Food Skills for Families – This six session group runs Thursdays 1:30pm-3:30pm at 835-3rd ave. This is a closed, co-ed group offered to educate families to make healthy food choices. In this group participants learn about food and budgeting while making delicious meals. This group is offered in partnership with the Canadian Diabetes Association. Please contact Rhonda Hourie at (250) 563-1281 for further information and to find out when the next Food Skills for Families group starts.
CHILDREN & YOUTH GROUPS:
The family support program in Prince George offers Girl's Group on Tuesdays 3:00pm-4:30pm, and Boy's Group on Thursdays from 3:00pm-4:30pm These Life Skills oriented groups provide activities for children and youth ages 8-12. They are both open groups which combining health activities, education, life skills, and self-care tools. Our Child & Youth Life Skills Worker Patrick Coon can provide more information by calling him at (250) 564-5643.
FAMILY DROP-IN GROUP:
Drop in and say hi, and join us for Coffee and Bannock each Thursday from 11am-3pm. The Family Support Team will be at 835-3rd ave to join you for a visit and some of Jennifer's home made bannock... yum!
SIGN UP for monthly Goozih Eblast
Last modified: Thursday 19-May-16 11:29:05 PDT